Tuesday, June 14, 2016




“Don’t be afraid”. It was a provocative thing for Jesus to say since the political and economic order of his time was established and maintained by violence. But he knew the world can work in more than one way. He not only believed it and taught it but also lived an alternative way.

I am afraid. I live in society that is addicted to violence. We trust in the power of violence. I see it expressed everywhere in our conduct, speech and thinking. We are even entertained by it. However, I know it’s absurd to condemn the violence of others if I cling to it myself.

“Don’t be afraid”. The world can work in more than one way. We don’t have to passively accept violence as the “way of the world”. We do have to be willing to live an alternative way.

No comments:

Post a Comment